Application Deadline: January 29, 2021
Applicants are required to either attend a FLAS info session or schedule a one-on-one meeting with the FLAS coordinator. A schedule of FLAS info sessions is available on the main CES FLAS page and on the CES events page.
The Center for European Studies (CES) awards summer Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships, which are funded by the US Department of Education (USED) under Title VI of the Higher Education Act. Applicants must be currently enrolled in or accepted to a degree program at the University of Florida. Only US citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply. Students from all UF colleges are encouraged to apply.
Summer fellowships provide students with an opportunity to undertake intensive study of a language related to European studies in any USED-approved program. Intensive language study is defined as at least 140 hours of instruction for students at the beginning and intermediate levels, and 120 hours for advanced-level students. The summer FLAS award should provide each fellow with the equivalent of a full academic year’s worth of language instruction, and all students must attend a program that is a minimum of six weeks in length.
Students applying for an academic year fellowship and for a summer intensive fellowship must submit two separate applications.
Fellowships are offered for the following lesser and least commonly taught European languages:
- Modern Greek
Undergraduate students are eligible to apply to study these languages at the intermediate or advanced level (i.e. not the first two semesters of the language).
Graduate students are eligible to apply to study these languages at the intermediate or advanced level and may be eligible to apply at the beginning level if the student has achieved advanced proficiency in another language of the world area of specialization, and if learning a second language of that world area is required for the student’s overall training and expertise.
In exceptional cases, funding may also be available to support language training in French, German or Spanish at the advanced level.
If you would like to apply for a summer FLAS to study a European language not listed above please email the CES FLAS program coordinator, Corinne Tomasi.
Summer fellowships cover tuition at the host institution (up to $5,000) and provide a stipend ($2,500). Travel awards (covering the actual cost of travel only, up to $1,000) may also be available. The statement of purpose accompanying the application for a summer fellowship should indicate why summer study is desired and how it will contribute to the candidate’s program of study.
Applicants are responsible for finding an appropriate and eligible program of study in consultation with their language instructor and/or academic advisors.
Successful applicants will show:
- Clear promise of completing a graduate or undergraduate degree with a European concentration and a demonstrated need to acquire proficiency in a related language.
- Relevance of the FLAS language and area studies courses to their plan of study.
- An excellent academic record as demonstrated by grades, SAT or GRE scores, and letters of recommendation.
- Financial Need.
Application Deadline: January 29, 2021
To apply for a Summer FLAS, please submit the following:
- Three letters of recommendation Release Form for Recommendations.
- Recommenders should send their letter directly to Corinne Tomasi (email@example.com). One of the letters can be a language evaluation.
- Federal FAFSA form, or Determination of Financial Need form
- Official transcripts covering at least the past two years of study
- Official transcripts can be ordered from the Registrar Office and either mailed directly to CES or brought, unopened, to the CES office.
- Curriculum vitae or résumé
- A 1-2 page Statement of Purpose explaining the academic purpose of the summer study and how it will contribute to your academic and/or career goals
- Specific information on the program you wish to attend (i.e., tuition and fees, number of classroom contact hours, quality of the language program, instructor qualifications)
Application packets should be emailed in PDF to Corinne Tomasi at firstname.lastname@example.org
FLAS fellowships are renewable but students must reapply annually. Students who are reapplying for a FLAS fellowship must include a letter from their language instructor.
For questions and additional information contact:
UF Center for European Studies
3318 Turlington Hall
PO Box 117342
Gainesville, FL 32611-734