The Center for European Studies (CES), housed within the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS) at the University of Florida, is a multidisciplinary area and language studies center focused on expanding awareness, interest and training in European studies across campus and the broader community. The Center facilitates the training of scholars and experts in European studies by providing a wide range of area studies courses in disciplines including, history, sociology, political science, film studies, law, education, business, musicology, and many more. The Center promotes the learning of European less commonly taught languages (LCTLs) through language programs in Czech, Hungarian, modern Greek, Polish, and Turkish, and supports the other European language programs on campus through funding opportunities and outreach activities.
The mission of the Center for European Studies is to:
- Offer a wide range of courses on contemporary Europe that provide students with a well-rounded, multidisciplinary curriculum on European Studies.
- Promote the study of less commonly taught European languages by providing all levels of language learning and supporting students through language funding opportunities to pursue LCTLs.
- Foster collaborations between faculty across campus and with external institutions to promote the study of modern Europe.
- Provide educational resources and events for the K-12, business, and wider community in the pursuit of broadening the understanding of the history, politics, economics, and culture in Europe.
- Prepare students for careers with an international scope through opportunities to develop skills such as, leadership, intercultural communication, and critical analysis.